Monday, October 1, 2007

Thesis Pre-Production, Internships and Very Little Sleep

It's been a little while since my last entry because school was crazy the last two weeks of the quarter. I had to finish my thesis script, get an internship, compile my reel, finish an EPK, scout for locations for my thesis film (in addition to most of the preproduction stuff), and volunteer what "free" time I had at the IFP Market for school credit. Needless to say, I haven't gotten a lot of sleep these past few weeks. Even though I'm on my school break until next week, I'm doing some hours for my internship at the LGBT Community Center Media Center. They produce a monthly television show called "Out at the Center." It's pretty cool and I'm honing my skills as a preproduction/postproduction person.

As far as grades go, I did pretty well this quarter 3 As, 1 A- and 1 B+. I was shocked that I got As in both my general education courses (Western Civilization and Verbal Communication). Okay, I'm not "that" shocked about the Verbal Comm (a/k/a Speech) class because I love to talk anyway, but the history course was a challenge for me considering all the other stuff that I had going on this past quarter. The B+ was for my Video Production/Editing I class (a/k/a the EPK class) considering I had 2 professors for that class, I'm a bit shocked that I got such a low grade, unless you count the times that I didn't make it to class for a couple of sessions. I am happy about the Script Development class. I think I worked really hard for that grade by turning in an excellent Director's Notebook for my thesis.

Speaking of Thesis, I'm casting again for my new film. It's a comedy short that I plan on entering in all the LGBT Film Festivals. But again, I'm having the problem of casting like I did when I was doing the PSA back in March of this year. This time I'm having trouble finding middle-aged Asian women, African-American males (between 25 to 35), and a pair of bulldogs. It's funny how some people don't even read the cast breakdowns clearly because I can't tell you how many people want to audition for the roles of one of the canine characters! Go figure!

I plan on having my first round of casting this coming weekend. For more info check out the casting notice at craigslist

No comments: