Friday, October 12, 2007

The Final Quarter Begins! (Warning: Includes Spoiler about Sex and the City movie)

It seems like only yesterday that I started attending film school and in a few short month (providing that I finish my thesis film) I will be walking across the stage accepting my Associate of Applied Science degree. I never imagined myself at 43-years-young, finally becoming a college graduate, so to speak. I have been investigating schools so that I can further my education and get my bachelor's degree because I really like going to college better than I did when I was 18. I guess it's true what George Bernard Shaw (pictured, left) once said, "Youth is wasted on the young." Because when I was young and in college I never took the time to realize just what a valuable opportunity I was afforded. Now, 20 plus years later I have the chance to do it again and I am LOVING IT!!!!

This quarter I am only taking 4 classes, Internship, Video Production & Editing II (a/k/a Thesis class), Literature and Composition, and Sociology.
This has only been my first week of taking all this courses but so far, I can tell that I'm going to get a lot out of it. Originally when I came here, I never saw the reason for all the general education courses, but now I see why it is required. It only enriches you as a human being when you open your mind to subjects other than the your major field of study. And, in all honesty, every general education course I've taken here has helped me more with my film studies and helping to become a better writer, director, producer, and most important, it's helped me to become a better man. Something that I never expected that would happen.

For instance, my Internship class basically is a class that meets once a week with Professor Dillon and we discuss ways of working toward our personal goals in addition to how to make the best use of your individual internships. This past week at my internship I participated on an project for an upcoming segment to be shown on the show. In the two and one half hours that I did camera work for this segment, I learned SO MUCH about things that I, in my 40+ years, had no concept of before. I wont' go into detail about it, but it was eye opening for me. There are certain things you just can't learn from reading a book solely. Not to say that reading books aren't good -- my head is buried in a book almost all the time now --
but life is a great experience when you just LIVE IT!! It's amazing the things you can learn.

I'm really looking forward to both of my GEN ED courses this quarter (even though I passed English Lit & Comp with a B while I attend Pace University in the 80's). The Literature and Composition course will only aid me in becoming a better writer and the Sociology course will aid me in seeing my world better.

My
Celebrity Alert today includes a SPOILER--you have been warned: Today outside on 40th street in about 10 feet from the building they closed down the street between Sixth Avenue (or Avenue of the Americas) and Fifth Avenue because they were filming scenes for the new "Sex and the City" film. I saw little Sarah Jessica Parker (Carrie) in "wedding gown" and Cynthia Nixon (Miranda). I heard that Kristen Davis (Charlotte) was there but there were too many people and I didn't see her there. I think Evan Handler (Harry) who plays her husband was there too. There were so many spectators around there, that I'm sure someone has footage already up on the web. I hope they've finished out there because the street was way too congested. However, big budget filming brings income to the city of New York. So I shouldn't complain.

Too bad I didn't have my camera with me. Oh, well....

1 comment:

Wonderfulcow said...

Ah, incase you ever want to do background work for Sex and the City: The Movie (SAG talent) - send your picture, resume and/or contact info to: sex2@gwcnyc.com