Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Music Video Chronicles

I was finally able to shoot another day of exterior shots for Daphne's music video over the weekend. We used locations in Central Park and in Battery Park and on the Staten Island Ferry. It was a fun but exhausting day but everything looks good with the footage we got. Kidane (the Director of Photography for this shoot) and I went with Daphne and our male lead, Almando Rodney, to shoot in romantic settings around the city as part of the "B roll" footage that will be intercut into the video. This was our first day shooting with Almando and I have to say that it was a pleasure to work with a model who has no huge ego whatsoever. He was a joy to work with and I'm so glad that him and Daphne had such great chemistry on film. I can't wait for you all to see the video.

I'm getting a wee bit nervous because although I'm happy with the production thus far, I have to hand in a rough cut next Tuesday to my professor and I still am missing an interior scene with Daphne and Almando in the apartment. The reason why I'm missing this footage is because, I have yet to find that particular location to shoot it. If anyone has any leads or ideas, please shoot me an email (which at the moment is the only way to reach me since the phone is still out of service).

Yesterday Kidane and I went and looked another location in which to shoot the fantasy dance sequence of the piece. I thought it was a nice place and my D.P. thought the girl who showed us the space was nice. It's funny but looking over the footage that we shot on the first weekend of Daphne's performance, you can tell who shot what just by the amount of cleavage in the shoot. Gay guys will capture the face and eyes while straight guys will capture the area above the waist and sometimes the face too. But I guess it's good that I'm working with a straight D.P. because he see things from a different perspective that will only enhance the overall piece once it is edited. I have to admit, even though I've heard the song (it's called "Satisfied") about 500 times now, I'm not the least bit sick of it. I guess that the true mark of a hit.

On another film I completed, the original score for "Measure of Life" is complete and got it on Friday. My bud, Donald did an excellent job creating this score and I know that once my documentary hits the festival circuit, not only will people recognize my filmmaking ability but his exceptional music production skills as well. Also included on the score is an original song by Michael Ashanti called "Hold On" and I know it's going to be a big hit. It is available now on his new CD (check link). [BTW, Michael is on tour promoting his CD. If he comes to your town, RUN, don't walk to go see him. He is a PHENOMENAL singer!]

Today in class we learned how to create a 3D World using Adobe After Effects and Adobe Photoshop. For my next project for this class I have to create a 3D world and place a character that we filmed last week on "green screen" into this digital world. I'm glad that I learned how to do green screen because the way the film industry is heading, it will play an important role in helping me get employment in the digital film world once I get out of school.

Well I better get back to work.

No comments: