Thursday, June 21, 2007

Directing with PRIDE!!

This weekend in the big Gay Pride March and Festival on Sunday here in the city. I unfortunately will not be able to go and march like I did last year (that's me in the middle of the GMHC banner with my black HRC cap on - we were at the front of the parade) because I will be directing a sequence for Daphne's music video. It was the only day we could get the location and this is a crucial scene for me to finish the video for my class because it is due next Tuesday. I submitted a rough cut for class this week and although Professor Trice liked the elements that I incorporated into it, he agreed with me that incorporating the dance scene would make it perfect. Plus, on certain sections on the rough cut, I had to superimposed place holders that read "Dance Sequence Goes Here". But with the exception of the vocal track being out of sync with the video track for a frame or two, everything looked pretty professional. Professor T was pleased thus far. I was also please with the work too. If I do say so myself, I think I'm turning out to be one helluva director and editor!

I'm really looking forward to the shoot this weekend because my choreographer, Candice, is working really hard to create some fantastic steps and she has enlisted some top-notch Broadway dancers to work in the video. I have to pinch myself to realize that this really isn't a dream; that I have one of the best choreographers in the business working on a video that I am directing! The Gods must be looking down on me! There is a dance rehearsal tomorrow and Saturday and I may pop my head in to check on the progression, but I'm certain that everything will come off swimmingly well. Candice is aces! I am so lucky that she has agreed to believe in my vision is working with me on this project. Daphne is really psyched as well to be completing the video and I think Kidane is too. [That's me in the hat directing Daphne and Almando on location. - I don't know what I said to make Daph laugh like she's doing. But it's important to have a happy set, I believe.] The good thing is that we will have an additional camera on Sunday because one of my classmates, Christopher Reid, is going to shoot some tracking shot with his camera and dolly. He is taking time out of his busy, busy schedule and has agreed to work with me. Yes, I am blessed!

Unfortunately, Kidane's camera is in the shop so we will be using 2 cameras after all instead of 3 as I had originally hoped. Kidane will just use my camera. I'll be too busy directing anyway so it works out good for both of us. It's too late to enlist anymore camera people in the shoot because everybody else is busy shooting the finishing touches on their video or they are just don't want to help out a brotha in need. That's cool though. I'm not bitter. People have to do what they got to do and if means going to the beach, well who am I to judge?

To all my SGL brothers and sisters: HAPPY PRIDE!!!!

No comments: