Thursday, May 17, 2007

Step Aside Hype Williams*, There's a New Director in Town (well, sort of)

I haven't had much time post in the past few days because I was busy with school. In particular, doing all my pre-production work for the music video that I working on. Its exhausting but at the same time its really a rush of excitement knowing that I'm in the process of making a visual record of a song that hopefully many people will talk about for years to come. (Or at least will say, "wasn't that directed by Billy Marshall Thompson?")

One of the things that we are required to do by our professors whenever we are in this stage is to create a "Director's Book". This basically has all the paper work: Scripts, Shot lists, shooting schedule, floor plans, budgets, prop lists, storyboards, etc. I never knew going into film school that so much pre-production work had to be done. But in the end it's best because when it's well planned out, the production will go smoother and hopefully under budget and on time. In this case, since it's a student production budget really isn't an issue. It's more like no-budget. Except for finding some money to feed the cast and crew, that's the extend of the budget. In my case those funds will be courtesy of my food stamps. That's another story for another time.

Anyway I'm really looking forward to working on this project. I'm a little nervous because we (the production companies - this time it's my production company "Group Hug Films" and the Daphne's company "Sultry Siren Productions" are doing it as a joint venture) are waiting for approval of a club to film a dance sequence. Cross your fingers that that doesn't fall through. Also this time I'm looking for some new crew people. Everybody is my class is so busy with their own projects. Come to think of it, none of them even asked me to work on their projects. Hmm...

Anyway, the only one who I am working with again is my colleague and fellow classmate, Kidane Yimer. He will be my DP (Director of Photography) . He has a great eye for lighting and his camera work is probably some of the best in my class. This will be the second time we will be working together on a project. He even suggested that we use multiple cameras for some of the filming. Something that I hadn't really given much thought to before. But I have to say I also have been listening to a lot of director commentaries on DVDs lately (why else buy a DVD?) and a lot of modern directors use the multi-camera format for capturing scenes that really can't be recreated numerous times (i.e. stunts, jumping in water, etc.)

I have been very comfortable with the 3 and 4 camera set up from years of working on the daytime dramas. But since we have been in school most of the work we have been doing has been single camera work. But in the end, it's all about the editing. I'm getting a lot more comfortable with AVID Xpress Pro and can't wait to get my footage done so I can begin the editing and motion graphics part of it (otherwise known as "post-production").

Anyway today I also did something that I never done before. I read one of my poems at a school sponsored Poetry Reading. I was kind of nervous at first, because it was very personal and here I was opening myself up to group of strangers. It came out pretty nice.

While I'm writing this, I have "Oprah" on and she has the cast of the new film version of the Broadway musical, "Hairspray". She has John Travolta, Michelle Pheiffer and Queen Latifah on who star in this movie. I saw the original show on Broadway for my 40th birthday a few years ago. I treated myself, because I didn't have anyone to go with. None of my friends had any interest in seeing it. I wasn't going to wait for someone to go and see it. Besides I got the chance to see it with Harvey Fierstein (as Edna Turnblad) in it before he left the show. I even got him to autograph my original cast CD. He has no idea how he MADE my 40th so special. I loved the original John Water's film and I LOVED the musical and I can't wait until July 20th to go and see the new film version. They just showed a scene and I have to say John Travolta is BACK in his game! Nothing against Harvey, but John has a way better singing voice and we all know the man can dance. I think a lot of people will be surprised. I also think this summer's Jennifer Hudson may be young Nikki Blonsky who plays the role that Ricki Lake originated in the original film of Tracy Turnblad.

Anyway I posted a casting notice on craigslist.com for models and dancers. We have scheduled a audition for the models for this Sunday. Hmmm...me in a room full of tall, dark and handsome male models... It's a dirty job but somebody has to do it. :-)

*Seriously, Hype Williams has nothing to worry about. I'm doing my 3rd music video. But the first one since I started film school.

To be continued...

No comments: