Monday, May 7, 2007

Spider-Man is Back in Town!

Over the weekend I had the pleasure to see the highly anticipated film "Spider-Man 3". Was it worth the wait? You bet! I'm a big sucker for any film that has great character development and a dynamic story. Director Sam Raimi has not only include all of this but spectacular SFX that I haven't seen since The Wachowski Brothers introduced the world to "The Matrix" in 1999.

I have to admit, I have always been a fan of Spider-Man since he is one of the few "local area" superheros. In the original comic strip, Peter Parker (a/k/a Spider-Man) hails from Queens, NY. When the first film came out I was amazed at the marriage of live action with computer generated effects. The second film blew me away as well. This third installment took it to another level! Even the few minor plot "coincidences" could be overlooked because it really gave me my $11 worth!

I've been a big Sam Raimi fan ever since "The Evil Dead" films. I admire his work because he started out making low-budget films that eventually make millions. I had read somewhere that he made "The Evil Dead" for $350,000 and it grossed over 10 times that. He always has a way of mixing the very dark side with humor. He didn't disappoint this time either with Spider-Man 3. He often likes to work with the same people which says a lot about a filmmaker. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! It's been reported that "Spider-Man 3" is the most expensive film EVER made at over $400 million. I'm sure that the investors won't have any problem getting their money back. The theater was packed when I saw it and ever screening at the multiplex where I saw it was sold out.

At first I was skeptical when I heard that this installment would include 3 villains instead of dealing with only one foe as the previous films had done. But after having seen this film, it totally worked. This time, Spider-Man (Tobey Maguire) battles The Sandman (played by Thomas Haden Church - who was brilliant in Alexander Payne's "Sideways"), Venom (played by former "That 70's Show" alum, Topher Grace) and the new Goblin (James Franco). All the other characters are back as well including Mary Jane (Kirsten Dunst), Aunt May (Rosemary Harris), and J. Jonah Jameson (J. K. Simmons) to mention a few. But why did they wait until this third chapter to introduce one of the original comic book characters, Gwen Stacy (played by Ron Howard's daughter, Bryce Dallas Howard)? For whatever the reason for this late introduction, it still works well in the plot.

As a film student I tend to look at films with a different eye than the average movie goer. I tend to break up a film and over analyze the plot, characters, and all the technical flaws. That's not to say that I didn't do that with this film this time, but for what it was worth, I thoroughly was entertained by it and I would go see it again if I had the money and free time. My only disappointment with my theater going experience on Saturday night didn't have anything to do with the film itself, but the previews. It's funny how you can remember what previews you view when you see some films. Years ago I remember going to the theater to see "Jurassic Park 3" and the first preview of "Spider-Man 1" was shown. I remember it because it depicted a bank robbery by helicopter that was foiled by being caught in a web created by Spider-Man as they tried to elude capture. As the camera pulls out to reveal the helicopter caught in a web that was spun between the two towers of the World Trade Center. I remember people cheering in the theater at the end of this trailer. This trailer was pulled shortly thereafter due to the tragic events of 9/11. But I digress...

The trailer that I was shocked to see wasn't so much the film itself but, as to whom was in it. It was a trailer for the third installment of "Rush Hour 3". Was really it necessary to go and make yet another one? One of my favorite filmmakers was in it: Roman Polanski. Up until now I have always respected Mr. Polanski as a great filmmaker. Although he is only acting in this and not directed it, it makes me wonder how bad he needed the money? Did the man who gave us such classics as "Rosemary's Baby", "Chinatown" and "The Pianist" really have to take a role in a "buddy movie" that has been considered by some members of both the African-American and Asian-American communities to be the "Amos and Andy" of the new millennium?

Despite seeing this trailer, I still didn’t let it spoil my viewing of “Spider-Man 3”! I can't wait until Spider-Man 4 comes out!

No comments: