Monday, March 5, 2007

The SuperBowl of Film Industry

First of all I just want to say that I finished this entry over a week ago, but I’ve been so busy with pre-production and production of my 3rd Quarter Final project (more on that later) for school, I haven’t had time to post it. Here it is now:

One of my favorite moments watching the 79th Annual Academy Award™ presentation last night was watching the commercials like the Master Card ad with the elephant shopping for his caretaker. It brought a tear to my eye.

Now I really want to see “An Inconvenient Truth” (the Al Gore documentary on environmental issues) when he said, “Global warming isn’t a political issue, it’s a human issue.” I totally know what he means. I really wish people were more concerned about the environment like they are concerned about the burial arrangement of Anna Nicole Smith or what part of her body Britney Spears is shaving “this week”.

I had to say that I love the moment when Melissa Etheridge thanked her wife Tammy Lynn and their children after winning her Oscar for best original song. It was just as natural as any of the straight folks who do the same think when they win. It's all about VISIBILITY!!! Hopefully, one day, it won’t even raise an eyebrow. Speaking of the winning song, I actually, really liked her performance of the song “I Need to Wake Up”. In my book, Ms. Etheridge ROCKS!!!!

The showstopper had to be the original song performance of the nominated songs from Dreamgirls”, “Love You I Do”, “Listen” and “Patience”. The ending of which looked like it was a recreating of a pose from the film itself. Of course I was extremely happy when Jennifer Hudson won for Best Supporting actress for “Dreamgirls.” She is living proof that even if you are a loser on national television on a show like American Idol, you can still succeed. Just like her character sings near the end of the film "But this time Effie White is gonna win!" Well it was all about Ms. Hudson. I'm sure that we will all see great things from her from now on. I can't wait until her album comes out. Hmmm.. I wonder if she'll need a director for her music video? I'm available Jenny!

I have to admit that I was disappointed that Eddie Murphy didn’t win. Of course I was partial to him winning because had he won, he’d would have been the first person (to my recollection) who grew up in Roosevelt, Long Island to ever win an Academy Award. Well it looks like it will be up to me to win it and "represent" my former "hood" in the burbs. But if Eddie had to lose, I’m glad that Adam Arkin won. If you haven’t seen “Little Miss Sunshine”, RENT IT TODAY! I never laughed so hard and Arkin was simply wonderful as the grandpa! Not only did he steal every scene he was in, but it was just too darn funny!!! The talent competition in the film can not be beat!!

I was very moved by Forrest Whitaker’s acceptance speech. I have always thought he was always underrated as an actor. I’m glad that Hollywood has seen beyond the “Charles Jefferson” role he played in one of my favorite flicks “Fast Times at Ridgemont High”.

All in all, I thought that it was a great telecast this year. Ellen DeGeneres was funny and on top of her game. I hope she comes back next year to host it again.

No comments: