Friday, March 16, 2007

Coverman-John Amaechi

By now most of you know that I have a secret crush on recently out of the closet former NBA player, John Amaechi. I mean, who wouldn’t? He’s tall, dark and handsome and that accent is so sexy. So you can imagine my surprise when last week I went to my mailbox to find my latest issues of The Advocate with none other than that sweet teddy bear himself on the COVER! I have to say I was in “seventh heaven”!

The article is an interview with journalist, Anne Stockwell. He goes into detail about why most male athletes in the NBA, NFL, NHL and MLB will wait until leaving their career as ball players to take the step and come out of the closet. Coming out the closet isn’t easy for anyone, let alone for someone who makes their living in the testosterone-charged industry of professional athletics. Either way, I applaud him for his courage and bravery.

In the article he goes on to say that there are still working professional athletes today that live in the closet and fear exposure and lost of endorsement dollars. I believe he’s right. I believe in visibility but not at the expense of putting yourself in jeopardy of loosing one’s source of income.

It’s a very interesting article and if you have not read it, pick it up or go to the website to catch up on it. I can’t wait to read his new book, “Man in the Middle”. He was actually at a book signing this past Wednesday at Barnes & Noble in the Village. I really, really, REALLY wanted to go but these being extremely lean days for me financially, I couldn’t go. It's hard out there being a struggling college student once again, TRUST ME on that. Anyway, if anyone went to the event, please drop me a comment. I’d love to hear your thoughts.

No comments: